- 2009/08/22 Linggi history

All that remains of the Dutch fort, Kota Kuala Linggi, are its 1m high walls which, during its heyday, guarded the Linggi river estuary on the Straits of Malacca.

It was apparently built by the Dutch and Bugis in 1757 following a war which was settled amicably, and then abandoned just two years later. The fort is in a prominent position on a small hill known as Bukit Supai (Sepoy). The Dutch name was Fort Filiphina after a governor's daughter.

From the 1820s to 1860s, there were a lot of clashes on the river between chiefs over river taxes and port fees as a result of all the tin coming down the river from Seremban. The Linggi fort helped to protect the tin traders and probably was used to collect taxes.

Many illegal forts were set up all along the river, and this prompted the British to send an expedition in 1857 to destroy these illegal toll booths. It is not clear if Linggi fort was razed at the same time.

The main entrance to the fort is now beyond an abandoned and uncompleted resort project. One needs to squeeze through the resort gates to get to the fort. A signboard by the Museums Department gives some information, but there is little to see except the four walls which were once surrounded by a moat. There was also once a passageway to the landing stage at the beach. The perimeter of the fort is bordered by ancient rubber trees.

It seems a historical complex is being developed, and the shelters and walkways have already been built. There is also an old tomb outside the fort, but there is no mention of who is buried here.

Share this article with others:

eKudos (NL) NuJIJ (NL) TagMos (NL) Google Yahoo My Web del.icio.us StumbleUpon Technorati Digg Facebook Reddit Furl

Related pages:

•  2009/08/22 A bit on Bird
•  2009/08/22 Following the Linggi

Most recent articles:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]