[an error occurred while processing this directive]
- 2007/02/18 RM12.8m to reconstruct A'Famosa fort

The federal government has approved a RM12.8 million allocation for the reconstruction of Fortaleza D'Malacca or the mighty A'Famosa fort built during the Portuguese or Dutch colonial era in Bandar Hilir here.

Culture, Arts and Heritage Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim said said the first phase of the rebuilding work was expected to begin in April or May.

Speaking to reporters after attending a dinner hosted by the Malacca state Wanita Umno on Saturday, he said the Cabinet had agreed for the National Heritage Department to quickly draw up the plan with the assistance of historians in Malacca and several archaeologists.

The A'Famosa fort was discovered during the construction of a RM21 million revolving tower last October.

Following this, the tower project had been moved to a nearby location.

Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Ali Rustam said the state government welcomed the fort's reconstruction as it would become a new attraction for tourists and historians.

Share this article with others:

eKudos (NL) NuJIJ (NL) TagMos (NL) Google Yahoo My Web del.icio.us StumbleUpon Technorati Digg Facebook Reddit Furl
-

Most recent articles:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
-